(I've cc'd v4l in case anyone has any info they'd like to add)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Well it has been a while since I have messed around with all of this... and
> it
> seems that the 'Ben' -series PPC kernel tree is no longer maintained...

FWIW, I have a 2.4.20 Ben series.  However, at some point the Ben stuff
does get wrapped into the kernel IIRC.

> also... I don't have the source code that I used to compile this kernel! i
> thought that I did somewhere... but it is not on this machine anymore...

Probably to free up some space if I had to take a guess :)  It's amazing
how quickly those drives fill up.

> I will try to get the planb driver working with a more modern kernel and
> report back here when i have some spare time. also -- i am pretty sure that
> the planb driver needs the i2c subsystem in order to function.

Ok, if that's the case then that would explain a lot.  Well, not why I2C
is needed, but I'm 99% sure I don't have any I2C stuff compiled in.  I'll
see about getting a kernel built with I2C support and see what happens.

> i usually run webcam like this:
> webcam webcam.conf

Cool, thanks for that info.

> here is some sample output:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/notes$ webcam webcam.conf
> reading config file: webcam.conf
> ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,Composite,flags=0x0,type=2,norm=3): Invalid argument
> ioctl: VIDIOCMCAPTURE(0,fmt=4,size=48x32): Invalid argument
> video4linux webcam v1.3 - (c) 1998-2001 Gerd Knorr
> grabber config:
>   size 640x480 [16 bit YUV 4:2:2 (packed)]
>   input composite, norm ntsc, jpeg quality 85
>   rotate=0, top=0, left=0, bottom=480, right=640
> write config:
>   local transfer /home/httpd/uploading.jpg => /home/httpd/cam.jpg
> "food? 2005-01-16 19:08:17"

That's interesting, you're getting the arguement/error but you're getting
a lot further than I have.

> here is a sample image generated by webcam (no video signal, so it is a black
> screen...)
> http://surfdavis.no-ip.com/cam.jpg

That's better than anything I've seen.

> here is some information from the 8500, with planb module:
> surf:/# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> planb                  41124   0  (unused)
> videodev                5312   2  [planb]
> dmasound_pmac          69104   0
> dmasound_core          13560   0  [dmasound_pmac]
> soundcore               4520   3  [dmasound_core]
> i2c-core               14584   0  [dmasound_pmac]

Here's a dumb question... what is videodev ?  It could be that I have it
compiled in monolithic, I tend to stay away from modules if I know it's
something I'm going to need loaded in one way or the other (for
troubleshooting I did do planb as a module for ease of hacking purposes).

It looks like i2c is only being used by the sound portion, but I'm willing
to give it a try on the off chance it'll make it work.

Thanks for that info, it's hopefully a step in the right direction.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
        --Old 97's