On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:48:13AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> Hei Lars,
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > > Posting to -devel already brings one a certain amount of spam.
> > > Anything that reduces that will make posting to -devel more
> > > attractive and help improve communication in the project.
> >
> > Kicking people off Debian lists without proper reason is really, really
> > bad for the project.
>
> So an uncooperative ISP isn't a valid reason, in your book?
>
> There were < 100 subscribers from uol.com.br and that ISPs challenge /
> response mechanism is affecting (at least) > 5000 people.
>
> Considering the amount of time that has been spent on this particular
> issue (setup and performing traces, etc.) -- I think the benefit of
> allowing uol.com.br users to post to the list is outweighed by the harm
> their ISP does to our other users.

Except for the fact that the measure didn't fix anything. It only made
several legitimate and inocent users of the debian lists angry for being
kicked from the lists out of the blue. Do you realize the risk you are
taking?. Only one angry user could decide that you can shove your
distribution where it fits and subscribe several addresses to debian
lists, and then redirect all of them to UOL, so you will have not only one,
but several untreacable addreses spamming your lists users every time they
send something to a list.

Just a thought from a user who was not affected.

--
Blu.