On Fri, 2022-10-07 at 13:37 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> - After the merits and problems of the proposed new projects are
>   discussed, the release team decides which projects are accepted for
>   the next release.
>   (I specifically do not mention what rules the release team should
>   follow in deciding which projects to accept -- I trust their
>   judgement)

This sounds like you propose to create some sort of technical steering
committee which probably should not be required to be identical with
the release team.

But as a practical example: some people have suggested packages not
shipping configuration files in /etc (including, for example, init
scripts in /etc/init.d). As far as I understand some people even say it
is Debian's core mission to support such new configurations to give
more freedom to users.

How would this work and reduce conflicts with your proposal? Would it
be okay for people driving this change to, for example, just drop
/etc/init.d scripts? People caring about them could make software look
for them in /usr/lib/init.d or such reducing various problems with
removed-but-not-purged packages. Or would the people interested in
shipping less configuration files have to implement this for non-
standard init systems whose usage is explored as an experiment in
Debian?

Some people probably also want to continue to ship configuration files
as Debian does now. Should we require this to be user-configurable? Who
would be required to maintain maintainer scripts to support both
configurations? The group wanting to keep the old configuration or the
group wanting to support the new configuration? What if some people
don't want this user-configurable (hmm, make user-configurability user-
configurable?)?

Or should be release team just decide all of this and everyone will
accept this? I don't think that would work from past experience...

Ansgar