* Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org> [2022-10-07 19:58]:
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. I believe DEPs are mostly for
discussing changes that can then be voluntarily implemented by
individual package maintainers; whereas this is intended to allow those
who want the change to actually do the work for that change more easily,
which DEPs don't do. Perhaps I'm missing something?
I'm not that much of an expert in DEP scope either, but what they do
share with your proposal is an associated state like your
Accepted/Succeded/Failed/Postponed/Maintained.

I have only one remark at this point: By definition, a project has a
limited scope and time frame, so at some point it has to end. For
things like /usr-merge, or any other transition, this is a good fit.
That's debatable, as the phrase "the Debian project" shows, but sure, I
guess we can rename things after the first release cycle if we think
it matters.
I knew you would bring up the "Debian Project" :)

You may have missed it, but my proposal already contained a similar
suggestion:

I didn't miss it, but I think it should be a separate thing after
the intial project has finished successfully, for psychological
reasons: such a project will often be something experimental at
first, and I also believe we should not be afraid to terminate
projects which do not work out, if only to avoid endless
frustration.

But at some point, a project is no longer experimental, it becomes a
part of Debian proper. It may sound like pedantry on my part, but I
think it is a huge motivational boost to see your project "graduate"
to something new and shiny, even if it does not make much of a
difference in the daily workload.

The Eclipse Foundation does something similar, they start with
incubator projects, and once those have matured enough, they become
"real" Eclipse projects.

Cheers
Timo

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   │ Timo Röhling                                       │