On Fri, 2022-10-07 at 14:21 +0200, Timo Röhling wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org> [2022-10-07 13:37]:
> > I've given this some thought over the past few days, and have come
> > up
> > with something that I believe might work, and I would like to
> > submit it
> > as a proposal to see what others think.
> Great idea, thank you for your thoughts!
> It reminds me of the Debian Enhancement Proposals [1], which aim to
> solve a similar problem.
>
> I have only one remark at this point: By definition, a project has a
> limited scope and time frame, so at some point it has to end. For
> things like /usr-merge, or any other transition, this is a good fit.

I think we did try something similar for usrmerge already: the tech-
ctte was asked about the switch to the new filesystem for new
installations, making the new layout the only supported layout in the
future and migration of existing systems.

The proposal adds a few more bits reminding me of old concept of
release goals (which Debian dropped), but I'm not seeing how it would
avoid the problems we had (or have) with systemd or usrmerge. It hides
a lot of conflict behind this simple statement:

| - After the merits and problems of the proposed new projects are
|   discussed, the release team decides which projects are accepted for
|   the next release.
|   (I specifically do not mention what rules the release team should
|   follow in deciding which projects to accept -- I trust their
|   judgement)

and assuming everyone will then accept this decision.

Ansgar