Hi David,

On 15/07/15 23:34, David Goodenough wrote:
> My prefered DBM is Postgresql, but it has real problems when updating
> in that it does not automatically upgrade DBs on update, at least the way
> that Debian packages it.

Interesting. Something tells me that it must be an upstream problem but
if this is a packaging issue then perhaps we can fix it -- we just need
more details.

> Also sometimes, especially on sid you get an
> update where you can not even use the supplied upgrade scripts and you
> have to do it manually.  Having that underlying my email system is not
> an acceptable risk.

Indeed.

> Personally I will not have MySql on my machine, I simply do not trust it.

Bad experience or abstract theory? Just curious...

Since 1.13.0-4 you should be able to use MariaDB or any other MySQL
flavour if they are any better...

> Lots of other systems use Sqlite without problems,
> [...]

I would also prefer SQLite if only akonadi could use it reliably...

> All in all this is leading me to an inexorable conclusion, I have will have
> (after many many years) to give up on kmail and move to something else.
> My problem is what to move to.  I really would like to remain within the
> KDE world as it will then be better integrated, and I need both IMAP and
> POP - there appears to be little option.

I'm with you. I am addicted to KMail and many of its features. IMHO
there is no replacement to it... I wonder if upstream having plans to
decommission akonadi as it seems to be our only hope unless they manage
to magically fix it...

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov