On Thursday 16 July 2015 00:19:59 Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 15/07/15 23:34, David Goodenough wrote:
> > My prefered DBM is Postgresql, but it has real problems when updating
> > in that it does not automatically upgrade DBs on update, at least the way
> > that Debian packages it.
>
> Interesting. Something tells me that it must be an upstream problem but
> if this is a packaging issue then perhaps we can fix it -- we just need
> more details.
There is a script that can be run (pg_upgradecluster from memory) which
does the upgrade, but the postinst for the debs does not use it.  I guess
there may be times when you do not want it, and originally it did not always
work (I have been using pg for a long time), but I have never had a problem
with it other than having to run in it manually.

> > Also sometimes, especially on sid you get an
> > update where you can not even use the supplied upgrade scripts and you
> > have to do it manually.  Having that underlying my email system is not
> > an acceptable risk.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Personally I will not have MySql on my machine, I simply do not trust it.
>
> Bad experience or abstract theory? Just curious...
Its rather like the difference between Access and MS-SQL, one is the
full function, the other is a simplified version designed to make life quick
and easy.  Again this is my email system, I want something reliable and which
follows all the SQL rules (MySql and its variants do not).

> Since 1.13.0-4 you should be able to use MariaDB or any other MySQL
> flavour if they are any better...
>
> > Lots of other systems use Sqlite without problems,
> > [...]
>
> I would also prefer SQLite if only akonadi could use it reliably...
>
> > All in all this is leading me to an inexorable conclusion, I have will
> > have
> > (after many many years) to give up on kmail and move to something else.
> > My problem is what to move to.  I really would like to remain within the
> > KDE world as it will then be better integrated, and I need both IMAP and
> > POP - there appears to be little option.
>
> I'm with you. I am addicted to KMail and many of its features. IMHO
> there is no replacement to it... I wonder if upstream having plans to
> decommission akonadi as it seems to be our only hope unless they manage
> to magically fix it...
There was talk of an Akonadi2, but I am not sure what happens to its DB
usage.  The other odd thing is that if I read its architecture page on kde.org
correctly Baloo (the Nepomuk replacement) uses SqLite.  I do not use Baloo
consciously, but it lurks in the bowels of KDE and seems to work.

David