Hi,

After 15+ years of using and contributing to Debian, I must admit that
I'm confused about the role of the various stable suites. :-)

This is in the context of #887422 where I'm trying to document the
various suites and their interactions. I also found [1] (SVG graph at
[2])  but I'm not sure about some details.
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/package-cycle
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/package-cycle/blob/master/package-cycle.svg

My understanding (please correct me):

* security fixes are uploaded by the security team to debian-security

* non-security major fixes can be uploaded by any DD (and DM?) to
  stable-proposed-updates

* the stable suite is only updated when point releases happen

* point releases are basically: the (stable) release team reviews
  packages in debian-security and stable-proposed-updates, and allows
  them to migrate to the stable suite.

Now, questions:

* what's the relation between debian-security and
  stable-proposed-updates? Are packages from debian-security
  automatically copied to stable-proposed-updates so that they can later
  be included in the next point release?

* what's the relation between stable-proposed-updates and
  stable-updates? Does the release team pick packages in
  stable-proposed-updates and allow them to migrate to stable-updates?

* what's the role of stable-updates?
  https://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates says "This path will be used for
  updates which many users may wish to install on their systems before
  the next point release is made, such as updates to virus scanners and
  timezone data." But there are other packages in it, such as
  unbound/1.6.0-3+deb9u1, which is older than the version in stable. Are
  the DNS-related packages in stable-updates there because of updates to
  the list of root servers?

* Are packages in stable-updates copied to stable when stable point
  releases happen? (I have the impression that they aren't, but am not
  sure)

* What is the logic behind not cleaning stable-updates and
  debian-security when stable point releases happen? keep things around
  for people who only have those suites, no 'stable', in sources.list?

Thanks!

- Lucas