On 2019-02-20 14:22, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 02:54:55PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Now, questions:

* what's the relation between debian-security and
  stable-proposed-updates? Are packages from debian-security
automatically copied to stable-proposed-updates so that they can later
  be included in the next point release?

Yes.

Well, specifically stable-new (as mentioned in earlier points I elided). They then get included in point releases iff all builds are available and installable.

* Are packages in stable-updates copied to stable when stable point
  releases happen? (I have the impression that they aren't, but am not
  sure)

No, policy is that packages are copied from spu to stable-updates. In other words, packages must already be part of a forthcoming point release (just
as bugs must be fixed in unstable before a stable package is accepted).

Also sort of yes. :-) The package in p-u is copied to stable, and by definition a package in -updates must have been in p-u.

* What is the logic behind not cleaning stable-updates and
debian-security when stable point releases happen? keep things around
  for people who only have those suites, no 'stable', in sources.list?

Yes. Apparently a very small number of people have sensitive installations
and consume only security updates, not errata.

For -updates it's a combination of not assuming that people upgrade immediately after a point release, and a lack of tooling to make things more automable. We've discussed several times having some form of automation that could at least present a list of packages in -updates that are older than stable and could therefore be cleaned up, but for anything where -updates has the same version as stable I would also want some form of additional filtering such as "and at least one point release has passed since that became the case" (or at least "and the most recent point release was at least X weeks ago").

Regards,

Adam