On 2013-02-28 20:57, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Hi Niels,
>
> On 28 February 2013 at 20:37, Niels Thykier wrote:
> | Hi Dirk,
> |
> | The fix for #700498 is currently stuck in unstable due to a dependency
> | on a versioned dependency on r-base (or an binary built by r-base).  At
> | this point we are not ready to accept the changes to r-base for Wheezy.
> |   So, I was hoping that we convince you to upload a fix for #700498 to
> | testing-proposed-updates.
>
> Sure -- always happy to help the releases.

Thanks for your prompt reply, it is much appreciated. :)

> But could you be a tiny bit more explicit and tell me what you want me to
> fix, where I need to upload, etc or I may get this messed.
>
> The changelog doesn't show me what I did wrong:

Sure, but you have not done anything wrong in your r-cran-dosnow upload.
 It is just that we would like the missing r-cran-snow dependency bug to
be fixed in testing and we cannot take it via unstable[1].

> r-cran-dosnow (1.0.6-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * debian/control: Added r-cran-snow to Depends      (Closes: #700498)
>
>   * debian/control: Set Build-Depends: to current R version
>   * debian/control: Set Standards-Version: to current version
>
>  -- Dirk Eddelbuettel <e...@debian.org>  Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:33:14 -0600
>
> Are you asking for a build under a different R version?

Basically, yes.  A build of r-cran-dosnow in a testing chroot.

> Couldn't you just make a binary NMU with a different Build-Depends?

To my knowledge we (still) cannot do binNMUs of a package in a different
suite.  But even if we could, we still need a source upload of
r-cran-dosnow because it has a versioned Build-Depends on r-cran-dev
that can only be satisfied in sid.  :)

> We have an informal policy to release r-cran-* packages _for unstable_. So I
> always encode the then-current version via Build-Depends. On Feb 13, that
> will have been R 2.15.2 aka r-base-core_2.15.2.

In this case, we need a one-time exception to that policy and the
package must be built in a clean chroot using only packages from testing.

> "Upstream" for r-cran-dosnow has much weaker requirements. It would probably
> build on stable...   but I frankly do not know where to upload to.  The
> version in unstable has the correct control file.
>
> Dirk, generally busy
>

> | ~Niels

Please target "testing-proposed-updates" (instead of "unstable" or "sid").

~Niels

[1] ... or rather, if we were to take it, it would include a new
upstream release of r-base and we are not ready to accept that.