On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All the builds of motif failed [1] due to a missing symbol. What are we
> going to do? I saw that Graham already choose to just remove the symbol
> from the Ubuntu package. I believe that this is really a no-no,
> especially without careful investigation if other packages are using
> this symbol and this late in the release process. Can we come up with a
> better solution?

Upstream intends that symbol to be private, so it should be unused in
other packages.  But for confidence that it doesn't lead to breakage,
someone should build test the reverse dependencies, which is a large
number.  Graham can you do that?

It's rather late in the release cycle, so maybe leave things alone for
now, and plan to do a jessie-pu once that testing is complete?

> @Michael, how did you build the package that you didn't notice this
> issue in your build?

I only did debian/rules build while testing, and debian/rules
binary-indep to finish up, which missed the dpkg-gensymbols step.
That was a mistake on my part.  I should have done a test of the
binary-arch step also, but it slipped my mind, apologies.

Best wishes,
Mike