On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, David Fokkema wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:01:20PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> > Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> >
> > >Indeed.  I actually meant my statement to be in support of the stable
> > >distribution.  I guess I should have made that clearer.
> > >
> > >Still, no one benefits from having blinders over their eyes.  Stable is
> > >the most stable, and it's also the least current.  I don't see how it
> > >could be any other way.  They're on opposite ends of the same spectrum.
> > >

> > For me its lack of currency is becoming a serious problem. I'm deploying
> > new systems: do I really want to deploy software that's not going to be
> > supported much beyond a year? Do I really want to go through migration
> > to new releases just after I've got it bedded down?
>
> That's the beauty of stable. It _is_ supported for well over a year.
> Actually, make that two years. The only problem _right now_ is that if
> you go with stable _now_, there is sarge coming. But apart from that,
> stable is supported for years.
>
> > No I don't.
> >
> > My choices are going with testing: what then about security patches? or
> > unstable? From my reading it's not unknown for unstable to be seriously
> > borked for a time: I think new glibc did it a while ago, and gcc was
> > forecast to do it shortly after.
> >
> > If I want to support a USB Laserjet 1200, then I really need the latest
> > hpoj stuff: Woody is far too old.
>
> Woody is old, but have you looked at www.backports.org? A list of
> well-supported backports is available there. Security updates will be a
> tad slower than unstable, which is behind stable. But then, you're not
> backporting glibc, but imap servers or whatever.
>
> > What I find myself doing increasingly is building the occasional package
> > from Sid for Woody: sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's too much trouble
> > (think xfree where I think I found circular dependancies).
>
> Also, see www.apt-get.org for various backports, including xfree. But
> then, www.backports.org also has an xfree backport. Check it out.
>
> David

How hard will it be to switch or upgrade to sarge from woody when sarge
becomes stable?  I'm hoping that CUPS and other stuff in sarge will let me
use my parallel port HP 697C printer and my HP psc1210
printer/scanner/copier on an USB port.  I also hope to have support for my
Ethernet card which is a Linksys listed in lspci since I have a local home
network.

        Sincerely,
        (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless

Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown