Paul Smith wrote:

On the other hand, Windows is an even worse resource hog than Linux, and
there's NO freakin' way you'll be able to get Windows (well, maybe
Windows 3.1...) to run at all on that system, much less any of the
Office products.  So...

Oh come on. I've got an old Pentium 166 here with 32mb RAM that runs Windows 98 SE and Office 97 - not very fast, and best only 1 Office app at a time, but it works fine really. My dad used it for years and it got the job done. Also, you can easily fit that into say a 500mb partition, if that much can be spared on this guy's 2gb disk.

I haven't been following the thread, but surely there are resources at the university that can be used anyway...