On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:50:20AM -0500, cecil wrote:
> I just looked on the upcoming syllubus for my CS class. The prof
> requires ms word format zipped files for the assignments. What do I do
> to do that on linux? I guess I HAVE to install X now. :(

Since you're already thinking about LaTeX...

Your professor is running windows and cares about file size. There is a
very handy windows app which can read _all files_ which a linux app can
generate, if that app can print to a file, as most (if not all) can. The
de facto standard on un*x systems for printing files is postscript.
Certainly with LaTeX it is _very_ easy to output these. The nice thing
about postscript is that you can translate it to Adobe's Portable Data
Format (PDF) and the windows program I'm talking about would be Adobe's
Acrobat Reader. All my teachers in the last year and the entire school I
teach are running windows, but I just convert everything to pdf and I'm
all set. I would be very suprised if your professor wouldn't accept pdf.
If he doesn't, I'd think about following John's suggestion.

HTH,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!