On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:06:51PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:50:20AM -0500, cecil wrote:
> > I just looked on the upcoming syllubus for my CS class. The prof
> > requires ms word format zipped files for the assignments. What do I do
> > to do that on linux? I guess I HAVE to install X now. :(
> >
> > Cecil
>
> With the replies so far, I guess you now know that X will run on your machine.
> Knoppix might have troubles, though, because its autoconfiguration may be
> designed for a larger machine (it reserves a 10 megabyte RAMdisk, for
> example, and thst's a *lot* of your RAM, and may no longer have space for X.

Most modern desktops and live cds, including knoppix and friends won't
run on that machine and it will probably take some time to set up, but
I also ran linux originally with X and fvwm on a 486 and a 1GB HD.

startoffice 5 (what is now openoffice) ran on it at the time, but was
_very_ slow, so openoffice will probably be a problem. Mozilla probably
won't like it too much either since its a resource hog, but there are
lighter variants (firefox maybe, epiphany probably).