Incoming from [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> > Nah.  Debian's real sane that way.  If you install exim, it first
> > uninstalls your other MTA.
>
> You mean, it *tries* to uninstall it...  all it takes is one screw-up
> to put me in the O-zone with things like that.  What if (*just*
> for insatance) the "other" MTA used different versions of some packages

That's the difference between rpm and deb.  When you uninstall a deb,
dpkg runs the uninstall script that arrived when you installed it.
The uninstall script was supplied by the package maintainer, and he
knows what's to be uninstalled because he's the one who decided what
would be installed.  If it fails, that's what reportbug is for.

To get his package into Debian, he's had to fight it out with all the
other packages, ensuring he really does understand the package's
situation.  No Debian package is just whacked out and submitted.  It
has to fight for the right to exist.

- -