On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:31:01 +0200
ocl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote on 2004-11-23 02:09:
> > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:17 +0200
> >>When I do an 'apt-get install <something>', does <something>
> >>actually get placed in a menu item under somewhere under
> >>the 'Applications' --referring to Gnome.
> >>
> >>If so, how do I know which menu path <something> has been
> >>placed --other than going thru every single menu and trying
> >>to guess whether the menu item just added bears a resemblence
> >>to the <something> that I 'apt-get'ted.
> >
> > Do you have 'menu' installed?  It gives you an 'update-menus'
> > command which will (probably) do what you want.  You will still
> > have to find the new menu item, but menus are fairly logical.
>
> I do have the 'menu' package installed. I did not know I had to
> run 'update-menus' manually. Plus, a lot of stuff that has GUI
> does not get a menu item, even when 'update-menus' is issued.
>
> >>And, a second question --if I may: Is there a GUI way (i.e.
> >>using Nautilus) to create launcable menu-items under
> >>'Applications'? I tried 'File --> Create Launcher' but
> >>it comes up paractically blank.
>   >
> > I'm not a GNOME user, but I would expect it to have a menu
> > creation/adjustment capability.  Maybe one of the GNOMErs will
> > speak up.
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could. I have been unable to locate
> one. The KDE one (kmenuedit) can run under Gnome, but I wasn't
> able to make it useful. Whatever I changed in kmenuedit did not
> alter anything in Gnome. So, I am thinking kmenuedit is KDE only.
> But, what is available for Gnome?
>
> Cheers,
> Ray

I use Gnome.  I've never had to manually add an installed
application to the menus.  If your application doesn't show up under
"Programs", check out the "Debian menus" or "KDE menus" (if you have
KDE applications installed.

--
Raquel
It is only with the heart that we see rightly; what is essential is