On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 07:19:15AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Strictly speaking mbox is no different.  It is just a text file,
>     [...]
>     wrong side of maildir give me mbox any day of the week.  At least
>     with mbox 500Mb of mail won't choke the machine into near
>     uselessness.

This is a silly response. Maildir and mbox have different efficiencies;
it depends on what you're optimizing for. Maildir requires no locking,
and is more efficient for indivdual deletes; mbox makes more efficient
use of inodes and disk space, but requires locking and is less efficient
for manipulating individual emails.

Which is "better" is highly situational, but in general:

    - mbox is almost universally supported.
    - maildir is safer on high-volume or remote-mounted systems.

As always, people should make up their own minds as to what works best
for them, rather than rely on purely anecdotal responses like this one.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g