On Jun 05 2005, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> For the last few years, I've been running mutt directly on my mail
> server to access mbox-formatted mail.

I have switched to mutt (from pine) since the pre-1.x days (it's ben more
than 7 years, as far as I can remember) just for reading my mail in Maildir
format and I haven't had any problems with that (well, besides when
Debian's mutt got some header cache problems, but that was a problem with
mutt and not with Maildir exactly).

> I adore mutt, but there are a few situations when webmail is handy.

Yes, unfortunately. And the way I have things set up here, I use fetchmail
to  get my e-mail from a dozen accounts, feed it to qmail, then qmail calls
procmail which calls spamassassin and then everything is delivered into its
proper Maildir.

I use courier-imap-ssl here on my personal machine so that I can switch the
MUA as much as I want. And that includes using webmail. I simply can't live
without IMAP(S) after "seeing the light".

The only thing that I am not really sure about is the IMAP server to use:
dovecot, courier or bincimap. The last time I checked (which was quite some
time ago), bincimap was much slower than courier and I didn't have the time
to play with dovecot, but I think that those projects have now progressed
to the point of a re-evaluation.

> Sometimes I get an email with a lot of links, and I'd like to just
> middle-click and open them in new tabs.

This problem you can solve easily with urlview.

BTW, some really nice add-ons to mutt are, IMVHO:

* urlview
* post-el (for people using Emacs)
* muttprint (generates really nice output from emails)
* lbdb (way too handy to use with vCards and gnome-pim, for instance)

> So, to summarize, I mostly want to use mutt to access my mail directly on
> the server, but every now and then I also want to view my mail using a
> web client.

Yes, installing an IMAP server is the way to go, IMVHO.

> Yeah, that's just not going to work for me.  IMAP is really just a
> means to the end of webmail for me, but webmail is only a secondary
> concern; I need to be able to run mutt, and being able to use grepmail
> and similar utilities is also pretty important.

What's the problem with having mutt access your mail via IMAP on your local
machine? I've been doing this for quite some time and it works quite well.
And it also opens the possibility of you using, say, horde as a webmail
server which can contact courier-imap to do its job.

It may be that courier and horde aren't the best solutions to the problem,
but the infra-structure that you'll use will mostly be like that, in terms
of the problem you're trying to solve.

Hope this helps, Rogério.

--
Rogério Brito : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito