Right,

This could be interresting to debate about.

It's still about debian "version", packages version and repositories.

Broadly, package are evoluting that way : The package is in really beta version in the unstable tree. Then most of the bugs are fixed and this package slides to the testing tree. This slide happens about every 2 days. Finally, once every one or two years, the whole packages slides to stable when they are the most bug free as possible.

Since the "BIG SWITCH" of the 06/06/2005, a big slide happened.
I'm running a sarge testing that is a snapshot of the 02/06/2005 and now, i'd like to continue to stick with sarge but in its stable version.

But a question rise to me... And the little tab down there, illustrate it : The same package version exists at different T time in the 3 trees. BUT ITS NOT BE THE SAME BINARIES!!!!

|          |  Unstable        |   Testing        |     Stable            |
|  T-2   | package-2.0    |  package-1.9  |  package-1.5     |
|  T-1   | package-2.1    |  package-2.0  |  package-1.5     |
|   T     | package-2.2    |  package-2.1  |  package-2.0     |

Let's look at the package-2.0
At T-2, it's in the Unstable tree and this package could have lot's of bugs. Some days after (T-1), the project developper or the debian maintainer of this package has fixed up a great part of these bugs and the package is entering the the Testing tree. At T, the last bugs of this package have ben fixed, and the package enter the stable tree.

All of this means, that the same package version can be different binaries. for exemple package-2.0 at T-2 in the unstable tree is filled up with bugs and at T in the Stable tree, the same package is clean and fonctional.

So, what happen if you have, like me, a sarge testing of T-1 and want to upgrade to the sarge stable???? When doing update, apt will think : package-2.0 is already installed and there is no version of this package superior to 2.0 in the stable tree, so i don't upgrade that one....

Therefore, i do not have the real package-2.0 in it's stable binaries when doing an upgrade and will keep a mixed up system.

I have been a bit long explaining, however, i hope it's clear.
It seems that the BIG SWITCH let my system a kind of orphelin....