"Daniel J. Mashao" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> problems. 1.2 worked fine, but I upgraded to 1.3.1 and now my monitor does
> not do 800x600.

Did you try

  su
  mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.old

  # Just want to make sure there aren't any old ones lying around to
  # confuse XF86Setup.
  mv /root/XF86Config /root/XF86Config.old

  XF86Setup

I had the new version of X break several X installations here, but
using this approach fixed all of them but one.  Timing parameters (and
other things) had changed, and this fixed them by getting the setup
program to start from scratch.  The one that this didn't fix I was
able to straighten out by hand (it was a laptop that was a pain the
first time I set it up too).

I even found on several of the machines, I could use options that
weren't available before.  For example, the laptop was able to do
16bit with a linear frame buffer.

Hope this helps.
--
Rob