On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, David Stern wrote:

> > > Because /dev/sda16 has major 8, minor 16, which is the major/minor pair
> > > for /dev/sdb: look at 'ls -l /dev/sda16 /dev/sdb'. BTW, you have
> > > created sda16 yourself didn't you :-)
> >
> > I created it during the install procedure manually, yes.
>
> You created the device (with mknod), or created the partition? Do you have
> (as I do)
> /dev/sda16 = /dev/sdb
> [..]

Oops.  I thought Phil was asking me about creating the partition, but
apparently he was asking me about creating the device.  I have up to
/dev/sd[a..h]16, yes.  I also have up to /dev/hd[a..h]20.  The only
devices I created were ttyS[0..3] and cua[0..3].

Are you merely a stickler for detail, or does it concern you that
devices exist which have little (if any) practical use and are
potentially problematic?

Now that you brought it to my attention, I'm a little curious. Not only
why there are 16 scsi devices, but also why there are 20 ide devices,
i.e.: the difference, in addition to the number being more than 15.

A distantly related question (and equally important, hehe) is why those
plus signs show up in fdisk -l if the partition ends on an even numbered
cylinder.

/dev/sdb11         151      151      218   546178+  83  Linux native
                                                 ^ right there! :-)

David Stern