frank wrote,
> Rick Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> > They work wonderfully.  I have a k6-166 running at 210/83
> > quite happilly. However, it needs some cooling at this
> > speed; until i get something more than this cheesy $2 fan,
> > I need to keep the side off to compile (but not at
> > 166/66).

>      How is the heatsink (between the fan and the CPU,
> right?) attached to the CPU?  Are you using heatsink
> compound (thermal compound, heatsink grease) between
> the heatsink and the CPU?

I used a $2 tube of heat sink compound from radio shack.  And, for the moment,
an audio cassette tape to prob up the fan, as it slides down (board is upright
in the tower).

I just added a second case fan, blowing down from the top half of the case,
and this with a cheesy fan now seems to be enough--I closed the case, and it's
done a couple of kernel compiles so far.  It seems that the front case fan
isn't doing much--it doesn't seem to blow much air at all, but then it's
partway blocked from it's mounting hardware, and really doesn't have a good
source to draw from.  Maybe I'll move it to the top  of the case to blow more
air in.

Hmm, now that I'm stable at 210/83, maybe I should play with voltage and go
for 250 :)

>      Does anyone have any experience with this?  In
> the old days, voltage regulators and power transistors
> and such hot-running ICs usually were not just attached
> to their heatsinks bare, but were smeared with
> heatsink/thermal compound first in order to provide better
> heat transfer than a bare connection would provide.

yes, do this.  It was the difference between running stably and not.

>      However, I have gathered that the typical CPU
> heatsink is just put on bare.  Is this just laziness
> on the part of assemblers or is there some legitimate
> reason to think the heatsink compound is not needed
> with CPUs?

Laziness. It should really be there.  It makes a better thermal connection.

rick