1) I tried to change my configuration files according to your suggestions
(qouted at the end of this letter), but although it gave me no erors, it kept
using the "wrong" from header. Can you send me all your configuration files
(the whole /etc/smail directory), both its contents and the files' permissions
? I hope it is simply a matter of adding or omiting some characters.
2) I thought that as an intermediate step I can try the following in my
transport file (/etc/smail/transport):
 ---------
 smtp:  driver=tcpsmtp,
        max_addrs=100,                  # limit on number of addresses
        -max_chars,
        inet,                           # use route-addr addresses for routing
        remove_header="From",           # Rewrite From
        insert_header="From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]",
        use_bind,                       # resolve MX and multiple A records
        defer_no_connect,               # try again if the nameserver is down
        -local_mx_okay,                 # fail an MX to the local host
        defnames                        # use standard domain searching
 ---------
That is, as an intermediate step I wanted smail to change the From header for
all outgoing mail in a simple way. But this time I got

$ echo `date` | mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] -s test
$ send-mail: /etc/smail/transports: defnames: unknown attribute
send-mail: mail moved to /var/spool/smail/error/0yvp7A-000jLUC

3) Is there a beginners' explenation about smail configuration ? I tried the
man and the documantation on my system but I didn't get much from it.
Does anybody remember the address of Daniel Martin's page ? Is that page still
there ?
4) What is the defualt MTA in Hamm ?

        Thank you.