make sure /etc/init.d/xdm is not zero lenght (ie: nothing in the file).  As
dumb
as it sounds I kept typing '/etc/init.d/xdm start' and nothing was happening.
Dumb mistake, but it can happen.  If it is zero you probably need to reinstall
the package again (xbase if I am not mistaken.)

Good luck...
--Jay