On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Troy wrote:

>Do you have a working X server and your DIPSLAY variable set?
>
>If I unset my DISPLAY, xdm dies, and lets me know in
>/var/log/xdm-errors
Yup, my xserver (the SVGA one) is working fine. Bit slow though ;-). I'm
not sure of the DISPLAY variable, but doesn't xdm set it after running the
xserver or something? I dont' think the xdm gets far enough to print
anything into xdm-errors, which is empty.

>feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# echo $DISPLAY
>
>feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# xdm feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# ps auxw | grep xdm
>root 7017 0.0 1.3 2228 868 ?  S 00:29 0:00 xdm root 7038 0.0 0.5 864 356
>p4 S 00:30 0:00 grep xdm feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# tail -n 2
>/var/log/xdm-errors xdm error (pid 7017): server unexpectedly died xdm
>error (pid 7017): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
>disabled

Nothing like that. After typing xdm, I get the prompt back, but ps -a
shows nothing and xdm-errors is empty.

>Does startx work?  If you make up a 'bogus' display, will xdm load
>(i.e. `export DISPLAY=192.168.1.1:0.0`)?
>
>Hope this helps,
>troy

Hmm. I've no clue yet. I suspect the problem will be solve once someone
can tell me what socket 177 is. Incidentally, kdm give the same message.

Thanks

BG