On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:

> Then I ran make zImage (takes awhile!) and it aborted with the following
> error:
>
> as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
> make[1]: as86: Command not found
> ***[bootsect.o] Error 127
> ***[zImage] Error 2

[EMAIL PROTECTED](pa):bhmit1$ dpkg -S as86
bin86: /usr/doc/bin86/examples/as86_encap
bin86: /usr/man/man1/as86.1.gz
bin86: /usr/bin/as86

So you need to install the bin86 package.

> Peeking into the Makefiles, I found as86 defined so:
>
>       as86=$(CROSS_COMPILE)as86 -0 -a
>
> but I was unable to find a def for CROSS_COMPILE.  I ran "find / *as86"
> and there were no files found.

You're cut and paste verifies that CROSS_COMPILE is undefined, otherwise,
there would have been something before as86.

HTH,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|   Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)   |