[EMAIL PROTECTED] said

> On 30-Dec-98, [EMAIL PROTECTED] took time to write :
> > I seem to remember reading somewhere a LILO/boot command-line option
> > to turn-off SCSI reset.  Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate
> > the reference.
> >
> > Could one of you kind folks either point me in the right direction,
> > or even (***gasp***) tell me the answer!  :)
>
> I don't know the answer to your problem (never had a chance to come close an
> SMP machine, lucky you !)

It's a client's machine.  Though the client happens to be my wife's
company...

> But for the lilo option it's no_reset

That's easy.  Thank you.

> ex:
> aic7xxx=no_reset
> (change aic7xxx to the name of your SCSI driver)
>
> you can put it in lilo.conf like that
> append="aic7xxx=no_reset"
>
> or otherwise on the lilo prompt you can type:
> linux aic7xxx=no_reset
>
> if linux is the name of your kernel
>
> Good luck

Thanks again!

Setting up LILO isn't going to be a problem...just couldn't remember the
option...

> Patrick
>
> Ps: to find things like that see the kernel sources.
> for example aic7xxx=no_reset (along with all other options) is clearly
> mentioned at the beginning of /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c

Yes, you're right.  It's there.  Though there are 220 or so files in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi alone...finding a reference to an option you
don't know in the source of a driver you don't use *is* somewhat problematic.
It's akin to using a dictionary to learn the proper spelling of a word - it's
easy to find the word if you already know how to spell it...

Thanks again, I'll see if I can get over there tonight to do a re-boot.

Chuck

PS      Please forgive the rant - sometimes answers like "read the source"
        remind me of being a dyslexic kid and being told "look it up in
        the dictionary" every time I couldn't spell a 4-5 letter word.

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner                 E-Mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Practical Network Design                Voice:  +1-419-529-3841