raymond rote,

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> > i can remember approximate partition sizes and order.
> > Is there any way to recover partition table and the system
> > as well ?

>  Well, *maybe*. If it's only approximate, you could be in trouble. I'd
> advise looking for a disk editor and start perusing disk blocks. Look for
> filesystem boundaries around where you think they are. I *think* they have
> signatures - FAT has aa55, and I forget what ext2's is. I'd see if you can
> find something on the web about that.

I have recovered ext2 partitions, and ext2 extended partitions, by
using fdisk in this manner on multiple occasions.  But I did know the
*exact* way that I'd created them.

Important note:  create them in the same order as you originally did.
Otherwise minor (but fatal) misallignment occurs.

Also, "findsuper" will help you find the superblocks, which may be of
help.

>  2. If you're going to run Windows, get at least decent freeware
>     antivirus software.

This is what pentiums are for.  Safe computing dictates that you should
draw one around your computer before loading windows or otherwise
trafficcing in demons :)