* OhkumaTadayoshi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
>> > Do you know the way to do this with emacs?
>>
>> i don't, no; sorry. have a look at http://www.dotfiles.com/ though,
>> there might be some configuration files there to do so.

> I have found that crypt++el package do that.

crypt++.el helps much in reading zipped files, but there is even a way
to grep through files in XEmacs (sorry, don´t know about FSF Emacs, but
it´ll have a similar command): M-x igrep-find. This gives you a buffer
with all the found matches, and selecting a line there will open that
file for you (possibly with help of crypt.el) and display it. For me,
igrep-find actually does a system call like that (all on one line:)

find /usr/doc/wvdial -type d \( -name SCCS -o -name RCS \) -prune -o
\( -type f -o -type l \) -name "*.gz" -print0 | xargs -0 -e zgrep -n
'GNU' /dev/null

(I hope the Debian standard installation also yields this call...)

Cheers,
  Colin

--
Colin Marquardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>