On 21-Jul-99, you wrote:

An observation from this Newbie may be related:  I'm also on the Real3D list,
which uses MajorDomo, and the postings I get from that list come with the
'Reply To' set to the mailing list whereas the postings from Debian User arrive
with 'Reply To' set to the sender.  When I 'Reply' to a posting on the R3D
list, I'm prompted to specify either the 'Sender~ _or_ the 'Reply To(mailing
list)' address - when I reply to postings from this list I'm not prompted and
the 'To' address is automatically set to the 'Sender' - perhaps some tweaks
with this list server might improve things.  Obviously, I don't change my mail
client (Amiga YAM) config as I read my incoming.

LeeE

>     Subject: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
>     Date: Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 10:00:45PM -0500

> Quoting Stephen Pitts([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>> <SOAPBOX>
>> If you wish to start a new thread on the list,
>> PLEASE send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> DO NOT just reply to any old message in your mailbox.
>> If you do that, then the threading gets messed up,
>> and it doesn't display right in the archives, or
>> in threaded mail clients like mutt.
>>
>> For a prime example, look at,
>> "sendmail virtual hosting" right in the middle
>> of "STABLE graphical FTP client".
>> Also, "Partition table change", right in the middle
>> of "i740 video card drivers".
>> </SOAPBOX>
>
> Stephen
>
>  I could not agree more!
>
> I just did an informal survey on which mailer program by those
> offenders are using.
>
> Pine        8
> Mozilla     4   (1) Mozilla for Macintosh
> Eudora Pro  2
>
> Now I haven't used Pine for .. well lets say since I was weaned.
> Never have used the other two for mail either.
>
> Might it be that these mail programs have poor docs?  Might it be that
> the people that use them don't realize how badly these posts mess up
> the display of good MUA's.  Might it be OK for me to recommend that
> they take a look at mutt.
>
> NOTE:  This survey is very informal.  I only did it on this mailing
> list with the messages left after deleteing those that I thought
> lacked sufficient info supplied and those that showed a lack of effort
> by the sender to locate info before asking us to do his research for
> him.  I get paid for doing that.
>
> HAND
> Wayne
Regards