Brian Servis wrote:

  <snip about some keys not working in X>

> So it looks like your keymap is all messed up.  Are you running xmodmap
> or anything at the start of your xsession?  Try using xev again and
> walking through all your keys, maybe you will see a pattern. You could
> also try using xkeycaps for the same purpose.
>
> --
> Brian

Key     Keycode
---     -------
Up      111
Down    116
Left    113
Right   114
Ins     118
Del     119
Home    110
End     115
PgUp    112
PgDn    117
PrtScrn 107
SrlLck   78
Pause   127
NumLck   77
/       106
*        63
7        79
8        80
9        81
4        83
5        84
6        85
1        87
2        88
3        89
0        90
.        91
+        86
Enter   104

I don't have an .Xmodmap file in my home directory, nor do I have an
.Xsession or .Xinit, etc file. I do have a .xsession-errors file and an
.Xauthority file, but those are the only X-related files I see in my
home directory.

The /etc/X11/Xmodmap is apparently completely commented out (I'm
assuming the "!" character at the start of a line is a comment
character).

The /etc/X11/Xsession.options file only has five lines:
allow-failsafe
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
use-ssh-agent

The /etc/X11/Xsession file has the following lines that may/may not be
relevant:

optionfile=/etc/X11/Xsession.options
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
usrmodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
startup=$HOME/.xsession
  .
  .
  .
if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if [ -f $usrresources ]' then
    xrdb -merge $usrresrouces
  fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if grep -qs ^allow-user-modmap $optionfile; then
    if [ -f $usrmodmap ]; then
      xmodmap $usrmodmap
    fi
  fi