> The .deb packages are archived in /var/cache/apt/archives
> which explains the
> insufficient space message. The packages are installed from there.
>
> One possible solution, not really kosher, but you might try editing
> /etc/apt/sources.list to go through only 'main' complete that
> much of the
> upgrade, delete the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives so
> you won't run
> out of free space; then run apt-get to go through only
> 'contrib', etc. I
> have NOT tried this, so I don't know whether it will work or
> whether it will
> come back to haunt you later, so YAMMV ;-)

        My first question is why this is happening. This is a fresh
installation so
if I have configured the system incorrectly I could easily start over. It
would strike me as odd to think I need a 500 MB /var directory. I would
imagine that most all installations would fail if that were the requirement.
        Barring some more elegant approach, could I use the [S]elect option and
install the required pkgs first and then the important ... ?
        My /var/cache/apt/archives has no sources.list file, the /archives has
an
empty lock file and partial directory.  The /apt directory has pkgcache.bin
& srcpkgcache.bin files both at around 724 kbs.

Kind regards,

Hagen Finley
Longs Drugs
Walnut Creek, CA