> Hi Hagen,
>
> If I understand correctly, you're downloading the system via
> a debian site using the
> apt option of dselect. If so, your problem is that dselect
> wants to download all 502
> packages before it will configure any of them. Not only that
> but it will keep the
> downloaded files on your computer until they are all
> installed. Naturally this takes a
> great deal of memory - the downloaded debs plus the required
> install space. So it
> looks at your memory and says 'nope not enough room for all
> that'. It then gives you
> an error message and doesn't download anything.
>

> >         Barring some more elegant approach, could I use the
> [S]elect option and
> > install the required pkgs first and then the important ... ?
>
> Oh.. I don't know, I think that's fairly elegant ;-)
>
> You've solved your own problem. By all means use the Select
> option. Just install the
> very minimum the first go-around.  Allow dselect to configure
> those packages and
> delete the downloaded deb files. Then Select some more
> packages and run Install again.
> I'd pick as few as possible, cause it's going to take a while
> to download.
>
> You could easily start over and only select the basic system,
> or you could put most of
> your selected packages on hold (the '=' option in dselect)
> and try to install a chunk
> at a time from what you have already selected.
>
> Lot's of luck
> John

        So it sounds like the standard approach to building a new system is to
use
the available CDs thus avoiding the problem of downloading all the files via
ftp. After that has been accomplished one can use the apt connection within
dselect to update pkgs as they are release or upgraded. I ordered a CD set a
couple of days ago so I should have it soon enough and it sounds like that
should allow me to clear this hurdle. Thanks for your and everyone's patient