*- On 28 Dec, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about "using swap files - where do I
activate at boot?"
> I inherited a Debian system running potato.  The system occassionaly was
> running out of memory so I thought I should increase my virtual memory.
> Rather than repartitioning the hard drive to add another swap partition, I
> thought it would be best to just use a swap file.  So, I've created the
> file with dd, made it a swap file with mkswap, and activated it with
> swapon, and it's working fine.  My question is, what is the best way to
> activate the swap file at boot time?

Just add it to your /etc/fstab.

/path/to/swapfile   none   sw

It will get added to the swap at boot with the rest of the swap space. I
would recommend giving your swap partitions/files different priorities
in this case so that the faster partitions are higher priority and the
swap files are lower priority.  See swapon(2) for more details.

/dev/of/swap/partition   none   sw,pri=1
/path/to/swapfile        none   sw,pri=0

HTH,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.