In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> Thanks to all who've made suggestions. Several suggested the fix I
> think will work for me: add a Debian stanza to Corel's lilo.conf. I
> installed Debian Linux today using a boot floppy to avoid destroying
> the MBR again. <g> So as soon as I figure out what to put in the
> stanza, I should be ready to go.

Here's a lilo.conf. boot=/dev/hda writes to the MBR and I've
found that the best way for me.  Another way is to write to the
boot sector of a partition, e.g. boot=/dev/hda2 and mark that
partition as active in the BIOS.  That way if you ever totally
trash lilo's work you can still go back to the BIOS and mark
another partition as active.

boot=/dev/hda
compact
install=/boot/boot.b