On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 11:27:32PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > 1GB Fat(for file sharing between NT and Linux)
> >
> remark: kernel 2.4 will support ntfs write access (even though still
> experimental, i think). so you would not need a "share partition"

are you sure?  i was perusing kernel list archives a few days ago and
all i ever saw in regards to NTFS was that it was broken and
unmaintained in 2.4 and might just get canned.  all of Alan's
tasklists lately have always had NTFS listed as fix it or can it.

> 150 mb / seems a bit much to me. i have 50 meg and 23 meg are still free.
> (note, that /opt is symlinked to /usr/opt (i don't know the default of
> debian)). i don't think that it is a good idea to have a separate /tmp
> partition (if you are not paranoid). my /tmp is a symlink to /var/tmp.
> as this may cause trouble, if /var cannot be mounted, possibly it would be
> good to do it the other way round (/var/tmp a symlink to /tmp, /tmp on the
> / partition) - that would justify the big /. but having highly variable
> data on / may be a consistency risk in crash-cases ...
> how much /home you need depends entirely on you ...

i have a partition for both /var/tmp and /tmp and have no problems,
granted this may very well be uber paranoid, but hell the disk is huge
:)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/