I'd guess (maybe incorrectly) that you are running a newer version of
the kernel than 2.2.12, because the latest release of VMWare for Linux
(2.02, build 621) has precompiled modules for kernels up to 2.2.15
including 2.2.12. So if you are actually running 2.2.12, then VMware
should have just used it's pre-compiled modules.

The precompiled VMware modules should be located in:
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary

As the other message said, you can check your kernel version with
'uname -r'.

Also, hopefully you are installing using the tar.gz file and not the rpm
file. Many who have tried installing on Debian with the rpm (via alien)
have had problems. The tar.gz install went very smoothly here on potato.
I've recompiled the VMware modules a few times as I've upgraded to newer
kernels.

Tom