On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:56:30PM -0500, David B. Harris wrote:
> To quote "David Shepherd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> # 'modprobe lp' gives me
> #     modprobe: Can't locate module lp
> #
> # This is/was a stock debian kernel from an official CD.
> #
> # Anything else I can try, or do I have to recompile the kernel (I've
> never
> # done it before).
> # Can I somehow grab the stock kernel from a distribution mirror?
> #
> # Please excuse my lack of kernel knowledge - I'm learning fast
>
> Well, your best bet would be to compile your own kernel. Many times. Or,
> at least until you get it the way you want it ;) The knowledge gained
> will be useful whenever you're having a problem of this nature.
> Explaining how to compile your own kernel is beyond the scope of this
> email, but many guides and tutorials exists, like the one I mentioned in
> my previous email.

    You can compile the kernel the debian way with kernel-package which
automates the compile steps.Look at the manual make-kpkg.
    You'll want to set CONFIG_PRINTER=m to create the lp.o module when you
config
the kernel.
    When checking for modules run modprobe -l to check the modules on your
system.And look at the config file for your kernel in /boot.