On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:47:22PM -0500, David Shepherd wrote:
| 'modprobe lp' gives me
|       modprobe: Can't locate module lp
|
| This is/was a stock debian kernel from an official CD.
|
| Anything else I can try, or do I have to recompile the kernel (I've never
| done it before).
| Can I somehow grab the stock kernel from a distribution mirror?
|
| Please excuse my lack of kernel knowledge - I'm learning fast
|
| Dave

Compiling the kernel isn't hard.  I did it several times (before I
studied and understood how to configure modules) with older RH
systems.  Debian provides a more convenient way to build it into a
package.  I haven't done that yet, the stock one seems to have all I
need (with appropriate module configuration).

Don't be afraid to try stuff.  Just make sure you can still use your
old kernel if you make a mistake.

-D

PS.  basically :  (but read the How-To anyways)

make menuconfig
make
make deps
make install