> try avoid rebooting whenever possible. i had a bad
> experience with rebooting not too long ago. a sun
> ultra 10..up for about 130 days..shut it down to move
> a UPS, it never came back up. spent the next 15-20
> hours rebuilding it.

Similar experience here at work with a Sun Sparc we had... moved from
one building to another and for whatever reason didn't hook the machine
back up right away (maybe the user wasn't here, it was a weekend, etc,
etc). When we did hook it up, we discovered we had a "sticktion" problem
! ;-)

One suggestion we had was to "drop" the case as we powered it up !!

Back to what you're talking about though, that's not the same as
rebooting. To me, rebooting is a "warm" restart. Shutting down entirely,
as in yours and my examples, are different.

Hall