Lo, on Sunday, April 8, Mark Devin did write:

> How do I use 'stow'?

apt-get install stow

then check the info page.

In brief: if you've got several packages you want to install into, say,
/usr/local/{bin,lib,man,info,...}, but you don't want to keep track of
which file belongs to which package, use stow.  Install each package into,
e.g., /usr/local/stow/<package>, then

cd /usr/local/stow
stow <package>

this creates links in /usr/local/{bin,man,lib,...} to the files in the
stow/<package> directory.

It's quite nice; I'm using it on a Solaris network at work because I don't
have a real package manager like dpkg or rpm available.  (Yes, I know rpm
exists for Solaris, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of configuring
it on a system which wasn't built with rpm.)

Richard