Quoting Daniel Faller ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> I am constantly getting:
>
> sda: READ CAPACITY failed
> sda: status=0 message=00 host=0 driver=28
> sda: extended sense code = 2
> block size assumed to be 512 bytes disksize = 1GB
> sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0.
>
> This happens when I try to boot kernel 2.4.4, kernel 2.4.1 works perfectly,
> they are compiled with the same config file.
>
> I have no idea what is going on here, so any help is greatly appreciated.

This may or may not help. The message above looks exactly like what
you'd expect if sda was an empty Zip drive. If inserting a disk and
rebooting changes the message, then that's what's happened.

So then the problem changes to why isn't your SCSI interface being
detected (which would precede the Zip scsi in the sda, sdb list).
Perhaps there's some parameter difference between the two kernels,
but I'm not much help here as I don't use 2.4.x. (I can't even see
where the Zip support parameters are for that matter.)

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151