On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 11:39:27AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 11:23:19AM -0400, dman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
| >
| > This isn't really Debian related, but I'm having some trouble with X
| > over ssh.  I am at a win2k box with XWin32 running (& access control
| > disabled).  I use ssh (from cygwin) on that box to login to a FreeBSD
| > box (our webhosting server).  The DISPLAY variable is correctly set,
| > but whenever I try to run an X app I get :
|
| It's not clear from what you've posted that:
|
|   - You're requesting X forwarding on the client side.
|   - You've allowed X forwarding on the server side.
|
| Post your SSH invocation and look at your daemon logs for connection
| attempts on the remote server.

Ok :

On the client side I have the following in my ~/.ssh/config
    Host redoaksw.com
        User        redoaksw
        ForwardX11  yes
        Compression yes
        Protocol    2

When I login I get :

$ ssh redoaksw.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found
Last login: Fri Aug 17 15:01:04 2001 from roc-24-169-98-16
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE (SERVER) #0: Tue Jul 24 17:47:40 GMT 2001

You have new mail.

(~)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [269]$

TERM is 'cygwin' on the local machine and the .login switches it to
'xterm' and then exec's bash (which sets the prompt up among other
things).

On the server side /etc/ssh/sshd_config includes :

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10

The funny thing is it is working now for that host (after several
restarts of the X server), but it is no longer working for the Solaris
box at school that used to work just fine.  The config on both sides
is the same (except for hostname).  Actually, once I logged out and
logged back into that FreeBSD box it can no longer connect either.
Weird.

        restarting X server, doesn't work for any subsequent logins.
    X forwarding isn't working at all logging into Solaris, but it
        used to (the last time I used it on that system).

BTW, do you know of an image viewing program that would be on a
FreeBSD system?  'xv' 'gimp' and 'eog' are all not found in the PATH.

Thanks,
-D