On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 01:10:03PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:13:34PM -0400, dman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| > |
| > | It's not clear from what you've posted that:
| > |
| > |   - You're requesting X forwarding on the client side.
| > |   - You've allowed X forwarding on the server side.
| > |
| > | Post your SSH invocation and look at your daemon logs for connection
| > | attempts on the remote server.
| >
| > Ok :
| >
| > On the client side I have the following in my ~/.ssh/config
| >     Host redoaksw.com
| >         User        redoaksw
| >         ForwardX11  yes
| >         Compression yes
| >         Protocol    2
| >
| > When I login I get :
| >
| > $ ssh redoaksw.com
| > [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
| > /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found
|   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| This seems to be your problem.  From ssh manpage, you may want to set an
| appropriate XAuthLocation, as the default isn't working.

It certainly looks like it would be a problem, but ...

I just installed Cygwin/XFree86 -- it works great now (except that twm
kinda sucks).  Last time I tried XFree under cygwin there was no
installer and I couldn't get it to work.

Now (using XFree as the X server) if I ssh to the FreeBSD box from an
xterm, I get that error message however remote X works.  I just tried
logging in from a cygwin bash shell (in MS-DOS window) and didn't get
the xauth error and remote X works (didn't specify any other options
than before).

If I ssh into the Solaris box from a DOS window (bash) I get the error
regardless of whether or not I specify the proper path
(/usr/X/bin/xauth).  I can't run 'xterm' but I can run 'gvim' (my 2
test cases).  Weird!

The problem seems to have corrected itself.  I don't know whether that
is a good thing or a bad thing because if it comes back I don't really
know the solution (though I know what to try).

Thanks for your assistance.
-D