Hi,

On 19 Feb 2002, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 15:34, Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> > But still I do not see the problem. You have one harddisk on which win98,
> > winNT and Linux is installed. Are win98 and NT on the same partition or on
> > a different one? Which was first installed? Is your win98 partition really
> > lost or have you just no access to it? We really need more information
> > about your harddisk partitionning and windoze installation history to help
> > you.
>
> Win98 is partition one. Linux is part two and NT was supposed to be
> partition three. On trying to install - it screwed the partition table
> up. Therefore, NT is not installed just now.
>
> I think the data is fine in Partition one - its just inaccessible
> because the partition info is incorrect. I really need some program that
> can "fix" this partition table entry.

How do you try to access it? Under Linux it should be no problem. And
because it is the first partition, it should basically start at cylinder
1. When mounting, it does not care where it ends, it just looks at the
start.

To verify, try:
less -f /dev/sda1 (where sda1 is your windoze partition)
If it displays something like:
<EB>X<90>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<two lines blabla>

WORK       FAT32   <FA>3<C9><8E><

<more blabla and then something like:>

@u^AB^C^^KIu<B4><C3>^C^X^A'
Ongeldige diskette <FF>
I/O-fout      <FF>
Vervang de diskette en druk op een toets
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]      SYSMSDOS   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL
PROTECTED]@U<AA>[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@

then your partition table should be correct (as far as it concerns
windoze). And can you still boot Linux?

What does
fdisk -l /dev/sda
fdisk -l -u /dev/sda