On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 11:51:53AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> So my question is this:
>       Are the W3C standards insufficient to allow the web
>       designers to do what they need to do, or is my
>       co-worker missing a technique that he needs to know?

I'll try not to start ranting here, but...

You're asking the wrong question.

HTML was originally conceived as a content description language, not
a page layout language.  A significant part of that identity is that
the client displaying the HTML document is allowed to interpret it
however it chooses, whether that means displaying frames seamlessley
adjacent to each other (the IE default, based on my reading of your
post), displaying frames with borders (the Netscape default, again
based on my reading of your post), or even displaying each frame as a
separate page (which is how lynx handles them).

IMO, the majority of the web's current problems are the direct result
of "web designers" and graphic artists deciding that they must have
complete control over every detail of how their HTML pages appear to
the end user, rather than allowing the user to tell his browser how
he wants things.  This leads to such monstrosities as pages which put
bright yellow text on a white background (or other such invisible
combinations) if you turn off loading of background images, text
presented in Flyspeck 3pt if you don't have the right font installed,
and, perhaps worst of all, sites that abandon HREF tags in favor of
javascript event handlers that are functionally identical, aside from
breaking if javascript is disabled.  The entire concept of "graceful
degradation" appears to have been forgotten.

Odder still, we have arrived in a state where "browser independent"
has somehow come to mean "uses a variety of highly browser-specific
techniques to ensure that it always looks the same" rather than "it
doesn't care what browser you're using".

(So much for trying not to rant...)

Anyhow, to come back to the question you asked:  No.  If your
objective is to create a page that looks the same no matter where it
is viewed, standards-compliant HTML is not the appropriate tool for
the job.  Nonstandard HTML extensions may make it possible for you,
but if you really want/need absolute consistency, I've heard than PDF
is a much better option.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss