Hi

Personally I would recommend SuSE for a complete Linux/Unix newbie.
It has a very easy install with good hardware autodetection and has
probably the best manuals I have ever seen with a Linux distribution.

Its probably the easiest distro to get you up and running with say KDE,
printing and an Internet connection.

Once you decide you like Linux then get hold of all the main
distributions from say cheapbytes and give them a whirl and decide which
you like best. Personally I like Debian best but its not the easiest to
get to grips with put there again it probably gives you more options and
easier upgradabilty then any other distribution.

Pat