On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:52:03AM +0800, csj wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 05:32:12PM +1100, John Lynch wrote:
> > Thanks a lot Matthew and everyone else.
> >
> > okay, here's another 2 questions.
> >
> > What is the best Linux OS to install for a newbie, and it still connects to
> > the net and has Windows XP as the default OS?
> >
> > and also, Would 1 gig be enough to practice installing Debian (or another
> > Linux OS) on?
> >
> > thanks everyone for all your help.
>
> If you can run XP on your computer, the best distro for a newbie is
> Linux-Mandrake <http://www.linux-mandrake.com>. I suggest you wait
> for version 8.2 (currently at release candidate stage). Mandrake's
> autodetection is the best I've seen in a mainstream distribution. If
> you don't know your hardware, Debian is a royal pain to install.

Mandrake has just been released (as on Mandrake website and as seen on Slashdot
:-)

> Yes, Mandrake is still free to download. But their download page,
> when I last checked, had a nag about contributing a little something
> to the financial health of the mother company. For a fee you can join
> something something like the Mandrake Users Club. Not necessary, but
> made you feel just a wee bit guilty.

Buying the distro off them apparently gives you StarOffice 6 (beta?) which may
come in handy later... Apparently this CD (with StarOffice) is not downloadable
for known reasons (again, as seen on Sun's website)...

Try something simple first, try trashing your old machine first, give it plenty
of time... Patience is a virtue...

We all started the same way... ahhhh, those were the days...

Welcome to GNU/Linux!!! I hope you stop using Windoze in near future...:-)

Davor