Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:55:00AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > For example, if the licensing restrictions on the downloadable firmware
> > > for
> > > a particular network adapter prevent it from being included on the install
> > > CD, then perhaps the install CD can be made to look for additional
> > > software
> > > on a USB pen that can be used by the installer to provide license
> > > restricted
> > > software. Or perhaps we can find a way to make it easier for people to
> > > avoid buying hardware that relies on license restricted software in the
> > > first place.
> >
> > IMHO, just as Joey Hess pointed out (in his missing post), there are
> > lots of efforts going into this direction. Just install msttcorefonts
> > and you'll know what I'm talking about. I just can't get easier than
> > that. You apt-get the package and the install scripts will download all
> > the font files and install them for you. You won't notice the
> > difference unless you watch apt's output.
>
> Ah yes, but the problem is - how do I apt-get the network adapter
> firmware mentioned in the example above when
>  a) the network doesn't work because it needs the firmware, and
>  b) Debian is not installed yet, because the installer needs the network...
>
> Again for those that missed it - I am entirely happy with the method for
> installing license restricted packages using alternate repositories
> after a Debian system has been successfully installed on the hardware...

Sorry, I missed that, but see below.

> My comments above (and the initial comments comparing Debian and Ubuntu)
> were specifically addressing ease of getting an initial working system
> installed.
>
> Or have I misunderstood what you are saying in some way?
>
> I suspect that there are more misunderstandings of what people are saying
> than actual disagreements in this thread...

Exactly. I can now understand Joey Hess's frustration about his
message. Let me quote:

[quote]
Some, like the ndiswrapper, are even in
Debian proper. It should be even easier to integrate such drivers into
the installer. For example all that needs doing for ndiswrapper is:

1) Someone doing the work to keep ndiswrapper kernel modules in Debian
   up-to-date with the current version of the kernel in Debian, which is
   not currently being done.
2) Someone writing the necessary code to let the installer prompt or a
   windows driver CD, pull the windows drivers off it and feed them to
   ndiswrapper.

(I'll tell you what: someone take care of #1, and I'll do #2.)
[end quote]

Or are you talking about more complicated cases?

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)